Download The Wellington App for more stories like this.

Petone fire causes health risks, transport changes

Buildings surrounding the Macaulay Metals factory in Seaview Rd in Petone were evacuated this morning as fire and emergency services worked to extinguish a large blaze.

Fire and Emergency Hutt-Wairarapa reported that the fire was at the western end of a large scrap metal pile, which included insulation from fridges and other materials, producing toxic black smoke. Multiple crews are trying to smother the fire with foam, and work could continue into the evening.

A person has been taken to hospital with smoke inhalation, and the Hutt Valley DHB has advised anyone in the area, to go inside and close the windows and doors.

If you have been exposed to the smoke and are feeling unwell, contact Healthline (0800 611 116) or ring your doctor for advice.

Police have asked people to avoid the area, and warned motorists to avoid Seaview Rd in Petone, which has been closed at both ends.

Metlink advise that bus services on the 81, 83 and 84 routes have been diverted through Gracefield Rd and Parkside Rd following instructions from the Fire Emergency Services. Messaging has been erected for stops affected or closed.