Download The Wellington App for more stories like this.

Expelliarmus Dynamo: magician’s Wellington opening cancelled

British entertainer Dynamo will play two shows in Wellington tonight after his Monday night opening show at the TSB Arena was cancelled because of technical problems.

 

Event promoter TEG and Venues Wellington said that a scheduled 8:00pm show and new 5:00pm show would proceed now that technical issues were resolved.

Ticket holders have been advised to contact Ticketmaster for refunds, or replacement tickets for the two shows tonight.

The Dominion Post reported that the cited “technical issues” referred to approval not being received for weights to be put into the venue’s ceiling. Venues Wellington head of marketing Anna Calver said she could not go into specifics around what the technical issue was. When asked why the issue was not tackled earlier she gave no response.

Described by The Times as ‘the undisputed king of magic’, Dynamo (real name Steven Frayne) had already entertained 6000 fans in Christchurch on his Seeing Is Believing tour, which mixes street magic with large-scale illusions, and has four shows booked in Auckland.

Frayne was bullied as a child, suffered from Crohn’s disease since he was a teenager and had half of his stomach removed when he was 17. He went on to become a television star, with the first series of Magician Impossible rating as one of New Zealand’s most watched TV shows.

As well tickets for the replacement 5:00pm show, Monday night ticket holders were offered replacement tickets to tonight’s previously scheduled 8:00pm show, undercutting the early promotional pitch: “Grab tickets before they vanish right in front of your very eyes.”