There’s so much good free stuff happening during the holidays for children at the city’s libraries that we’ve done a separate post for them…
The pre-school te reo Māori story time session Kōhunga Kōrero happens on the first Tuesday of each month from 10.30am at Omāroro (Newtown) Library, 13 Constable Street, Newtown. It doesn’t matter if you don’t speak Māori as the presenters make the half-hour sessions fun for everyone. The stories, rhymes and waiata in te reo Māori are perfect for two to six year olds and their caregivers.
Be in to win a family pass to the RNZB’s The Nutcracker Season by working together with your friends and family and recreate a favourite scene from The Nutcracker in a shoebox diorama. Bring your own shoebox and use craft supplies form your library. These workshops are open to families with children of all ages. Bookings are required for some of these workshops, please contact the host library to register.
- Ruth Gotlieb (Kilbirnie) Library: 2 October, 10.30 – 11.30am
- Wadestown Library: 2 October, 11am – 12pm
- Cummings Park (Ngaio) Library: 2 October, 2.30 – 3.30pm
- Karori Library: 3 October, 2.30 – 3.30pm
- Wellington Central Library: 10 October, 11am – 12pm (Bookings not required)
- Mervyn Kemp (Tawa) Library: 10 October, 2 – 3pm (Bookings not required)
- Brooklyn Library: 11 October, 11am – 12pm
- Khandallah Library: 11 October, 11am – 12pm
- Johnsonville Library: 11 October, 2 – 3pm (Bookings not required)
Bring a blanket and pillow, and relax at Fun Family Movies. A different G rated movie from the library collection will be showing each time, and are suitable for the whole family. Ideal for children aged 4+ years accompanied by their caregivers. Bookings are required for the evening movies at Johnsonville, Newtown, and Karori Libraries – contact the library concerned.
- Wellington Central Library: 2 to 12 October, from 2pm in the children’s section (no movie on 7 October)
- Johnsonville Library: 5 October, 5.30 to 7pm
- Newtown Library: 5 October, 6.00 to 7.30pm
- Karori Library: 11 October, 6.00 to 7.30pm
Put your creative skills to the test at Let’s Go Lego, using library Lego collections to design and build masterpieces. Each session will have a different theme that will inspire you to hone your skills and become your very own Lego Legend. Bookings not required. Suitable for children aged 5+ years accompanied by their caregivers.
- Wadestown Library: 2 October, 11.00am to 12.00pm
- Cummings Park (Ngaio) Library: 4 October, 3.30 to 4.30pm
- Khandallah Library: 5 October, 3.30 to 4.30pm
- Karori Library: 6 October, 2.00 to 3.00pm
- Tawa Community Centre: 8 October, 10.00am to 12.00pm
- Miramar Library: 10 October, 10.30 to 11.30am
- Tawa Library: 11 October, 3.30 to 4.30pm
- Island Bay Community Centre: 12 October, 10.30 to 11.30am
- Johnsonville Library: 12 October, 3.30 to 4.30pm
- Newtown Library: 13 October, 10.30 to 11.30am
At Gamesfest evenings, use the board games supplied or bring your own, and play with your friends – or make new ones. Aim for a Scrabble high score, show your hand or perhaps perfect your poker face in your favourite card game! Suitable for children aged 6+ years accompanied by their caregivers, at the Central Library on 3 and 10 October, from 5.30 to 8:00pm.
For more events and contact details, go to http://www.wcl.govt.nz/