Roads and bus stops will be closed for Christmas parades in Johnsonville and Tawa on Saturday, and in Kilbirnie and Upper Hutt on Sunday.
The town centre of Johnsonville will be closed from 10.00am to 1.00pm on Saturday for the Christmas Parade. The roads that will be closed are:
- Wanaka Street
- Dr Taylor Terrace
- Moorefield Road between Haumia Street and Johnsonville Road roundabouts and between Johnsonville Road and Middleton Road roundabouts
- Rotoiti Street
- Broderick Road from Phillip Street to Johnsonville Road
- Johnsonville Road from Fraser Avenue intersection to Moorefield Road roundabout
- Frankmoore Avenue from Earp Street to Moorefield Road.
Bus routes that will be affected are numbers 1, 19, 24, 52 and 60.
In Tawa on Saturday, the Christmas parade will start from Tawa School on Oxford Street, turn right onto Main Road, go through the shopping centre, on to Surrey Street and then back on to Oxford Street. The parade will finish back at Tawa School.
The short parade (2.00 to 2.20pm) is not expected to divert the route 60 bus services, s tolling closures will be in place, but if Police feel congestion is becoming too heavy, buses will use the following streets: Tawa Street, Duncan Street and McLellan Street.
On Sunday morning, the Kilbirnie Santa Parade from 10.30 to 11.00am will also see a rolling road closure, running from Mahora Street on to Rongotai Road and then left onto Bay Road. It will then return back to Mahora Street via Coutts Street.
Bus routes 2, 3, 12, 18e, 20, 24 and 91 travelling westbound through Rongotai Road (towards Kilbirnie Town Shopping Centre) will be delayed by this rolling road closure for up to 15 minutes.
Route 3 services travelling along Onepu Road may be required to wait at the Rongotai Road and Coutts Street intersections as the parade passes.
Once the parade turns left onto Bay Road bus services will return to normal.
In Upper Hutt, Sunday’s Santa Parade takes over the Upper Hutt city centre from noon to 5.30pm.
The following roads will be closed during this time:
- Kowhai Avenue from Logan Street to Exchange Street
- King Street from Kowhai Street to Main Street roundabout
- Cairo Street from King Street to Exchange Street
- Main Street from King Street to Gibbons Street
- Royal Street from McParland Street to Main Street
Route 110 will be affected.
Check the Metlink app in the Get Around section on The Wellington App for updates.